Primary students hospitalised after ingesting unknown substance

March 9, 2023 3:27 pm in by

Investigations are underway after more than 20 primary students fell ill at a Townsville school.

Paramedics were called to Bluewater State School around 10am, to reports of kids feeling dizzy and nauseous after ingesting an unknown substance.

It’s believed they all caught the same morning bus.

Article continues after this ad

David Wright from the Queensland Ambulance Service says paramedics assessed 22 student, and transported 14 kids, aged between 8 and 12, to hospital for observation, all experiencing mild symptoms.

Other children remained at the school under further observation.

Police say they are assisting the Department of Education and Queensland Health, who are looking into the cause of the illness.

The bus is being examined.